Sample UsageAssuming you have an account on the student Linux server taz.cs.wcupa.edu here is a description of the set-up of secure-shell service to this server.
- Open putty by double-clicking on it.
- Type taz (or some other nickname) in the Saved Sessions box.
- Type taz.cs.wcupa.edu in the Host Name box.
- Make sure the SSH radio button is chosen which should be reflected by port 22. (Really, you should NEVER use telnet if you can use ssh!) If you're behind a company firewall make sure that port 22 isn't blocked.
- Click the Save button and taz appears on the Saved Sessions list.
- Select SSH from the tree listing of categories to bring up settings for secure shell. Change the Preferred SSH protocol version from 1 to 2 by selecting the 2 radio button. Don't click Open from this level because the new information won't be saved in the session (this is an unintuitive interface!)
- Go back to the original window by selecting the Session category and then click the Save button again.