- Go to the Cygwin/X site:
- Double-click on setup.exe to run it.
- Click Next in introductory window.
- Take the defaults (i.e., just click Next) in the Choose A Download Source to install from the internet.
- Take the defaults in the Select Root Install Directory.
- Take the defaults in the Select Local Package Directory.
- Take the defaults in the Select Your Internet Connection. If your doing this download in a company, especially, you may need to chose the "proxy server" setting. This information would need to be obtained from your network administrator.
- Pick a site of your choice in Choose a download site.
The following package selection serves a variety
Keep clicking the View button until it becomes Full.
Add the following packages by clicking on the entry in the New line,
changing it from Skip to a software version number.
You may add others if you wish, but keep it simle to start since
you can always go back and install additional packages later. Select:
openssh for ssh nano simple shell editorHit Next to do the download/installation. Download time will depend on the network speed. The installation goes pretty fast.
- Create Icons: as you wish. You probably want to at least create icon on desktop.
After installation is complete, run Cygwin from your desktop icon. The first time you do this the skeleton files are copied into your directory.
Secure shell client access to remote serverIf you have an account on the WCU computer science student Linux server, you can test the secure-shell login as follows:
$ ssh MY_TAZ_LOGIN@taz.cs.wcupa.edu Password: MY_TAZ_PASSWORD