Computer Science Internships
Computer Science Internship Director
Cheer-sun D. Yang, Ph.D.
West Chester University
Computer Science Department
25 University Ave. #145
West Chester, PA 19383
For general information about internships at West Chester University, please visit www.wcupa.edu/internships.
West Chester University students may register for a Computer Science Internship and work part time or full time in Summer II or during regular semesters. Students who are not Computer Science majors should use CSC300 (3 credits). Computer Science majors should use CSC400 (6 credits); of the 6 credits, 3 credits can be used to satisfy the major requirements, and the other 3 credits satisfy general electives. Computer Science graduate students should use the course number CSC605 (3 credits).
Course & Grade Requirements
Steps to complete an internship
Find a suitable job or project which provides an opportunity
to apply what you have learned in the Computer Science
Department to problem-solving during the internship.
Some jobs will not be approved for this purpose;
for example, watching an alarm over night, answering phone calls,
minor web site maintenance, delivering pizza, etc.
Acceptable jobs or projects include, but are not
limited to, the following:
web site design, development, and deployment (publishing); computer operation help-desk personnel involving in problem clearance; web team member; member in a start-up company overseeing some or all of the operation in the company, etc.The acceptance criteria focus more on quality than quantity. For instance, working 100 hours per week as a data entry person is not as valuable as working 5 hours per week for 4 weeks designing a web site. Students can use the internal jobs database as a starting point. The listings can be useful regardless of the posting date because employers may need to hire more of our students.
- Submit an application. Click either the Undergraduate Application or Graduate Application to generate an application document. link to generate an application document. Email this application document with a copy of the offer letter to the Internship Director.
- Begin working on the project or job.
- Download an Employee Comment Sheet (via this link, or through D2L by clicking on Content, downloading a blank sheet). Allow your supervisor to complete this document and e-mail it to the Internship Director.
Submit a Final Report.
This should be done before the final week of the semester in which
you have registered for the internship.
You need to document two aspects of the internship:
- What have you used during the internship?
- What have you learned during the period?
- Please make sure that you complete and submit the final report via the D2L DropBox before the final week in order to obtain a letter grade. Without doing so, you will receive an NG grade, which automatically changes to an F after the 9th week of the following semester.
- You do not have to wait for completion the internship to submit the final report. You can continue to work on the internship after submission. Doing so may be necessary if the working period is not consistent with the Summer II or regular semester period.
In any event, you need to register for an internship course and pay for the credit hours. You also need to submit the Final Report in order to receive a letter grade. Please be sure to submit it via the DropBox of D2L for keeping a record of your submission. Please do not send your Final Report via e-mail to the Internship Director.
For further questions, please refer to the Internship FAQ section at http://www.cs.wcupa.edu/yang.